Effort to break swim lesson record | News
HOLLAND, Mich. (WZZM)- Some of Holland's youngest swimmers made a big splash today hoping to break a world record.
The Holland Aquatic Center joined an international effort called The World's Largest Swimming Lesson. The 30 minute event kicked off at 11 a.m. EST in 46 states, more than 30 countries, and on five continents. The goal is to reduce the number of drownings by teaching children how to swim.
Lisa Phillips with the Holland Community Aquatic Center says, "Those names all get submitted today to the world's largest swimming lesson and then they'll have a count by tonight of how many kids around the world did they have in this and that will be submitted to the Guinness World Record."
The World's Largest Swimming Lesson is in its third year. Last year there were 200,000 people involved. This year organizers are expecting 500,000 participants.
Upcoming Events near Holland - Zeeland
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town Grand Haven: Loutit District Library announce Labor Day and winter hours
- Grand Haven rallies past Fruitport
- My Town: AgeWell of Muskegon and Loutit District Library team up for senior fitness program
- My Town Grand Haven: LDL to host free showing of Frank Lloyd Wright documentary Aug. 28
- Two hospitalized after Ottawa Co. crash