'Shortest parade' held to celebrate summer | News
PARK TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WZZM) -- A lakeshore business celebrated the start of summer Friday with what its owners called "the shortest parade in the world."
The staff at the Ottawa Beach General Store organized the event to celebrate the end of the school year.
The parade route started on Ottawa Beach Road and First Avenue and ended one block later at Auburn Avenue.
Organizers say there are big advantages to a short parade.
"No one wants to be tied up in a parade for too long," says Linda Dykert. "We're going to celebrate get them through give them free ice cream and head them to the beach"
Organizers say the parade took about a month to plan.
Upcoming Events near Holland - Zeeland
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- GRFD confirms child playing with fire caused West Side blaze
- My Town: Consumers Energy Foundation awards nearly $39K to nonprofits
- My Town: GVSU and DHS awarded research grant for family support program
- My Town GR West: Survey reveals Michigan parents overwhelmingly pleased with 21st century education
- OPINION: Michigan, Our Great State
- My Town Wyoming: Health and Wellness Day returns to Metro Health Village July 31
- Crime spree suspect charged in Wyoming stabbing
- My Town Wyoming: Gordmans ribbon cutting celebration July 25
- Stabbing victim relieved crime wave suspects in custody
- Craigslist killer may have had multiple personality disorder