Holland Police warn of suspicious man posing as internet salesman | Crime
HOLLAND, Mich. (WZZM) -- Police are warning people in Holland to beware of a man posing as an internet and cable television salesman in an attempt to gain access to homes.
A homeowner on Hunters Run Circle says the suspect came to his home Wednesday trying to sell internet and cable service, and asked to be allowed inside the home.
The suspect was unable to produce any identification or documentation that indicated he was selling internet or TV service when the homeowner asked for it. The homeowner told police he found this suspicious and refused to allow the man access. The suspect then left in an older green car -- possibly a Saturn -- which had extensive passenger side damage.
Police describe the suspect as a black man, 25-30 years old, about 6 ft. tall, with a slim build and wearing jeans and a windbreaker.
Anyone with information on the incident or the suspect is asked to call the Holland Department of Public Safety at (616) 355-1100, or Silent
Observer at 1(877) 88-SILENT.
Police are also offering advice on ways to protect homes from suspicious individuals:
• Never allow an individual to enter your home or business without proper identification for any reason. <?xml:namespace prefix = o />
• If someone comes to your door when you have NOT requested a specific service, ask for company picture identification.
• Never open your door to a suspicious person.
• Get a description of the suspicious person(s) for police, but do so from a safe distance.
• Get a description of any vehicles that were used; again, do so from a safe distance.
• Do not give cash to anyone for work you had NOT requested.
• Call your local law enforcement officials for assistance if you feel threatened.
• Report any suspicious activity immediately to the police by calling 911
Upcoming Events near Holland - Zeeland
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town: Consumers Energy Foundation awards nearly $39K to nonprofits
- My Town: GVSU and DHS awarded research grant for family support program
- My Town GR West: Survey reveals Michigan parents overwhelmingly pleased with 21st century education
- OPINION: Michigan, Our Great State
- My Town: Our Kitchen Table improves lives through the power of plants