My Town: Donations dire for Red Cross after storms shut down drives | Community Spirit
LANSING, Mich.—Although signs of the harsh West Michigan winter are melting away, the American Red Cross is still hurting from the season’s icy impact.
The organization says March storms forced the cancellation of more than 200 American Red Cross blood drives, leading to a shortage of nearly 7,000 blood and platelet donations. The shortfall comes after severe weather in 27 states led to more than 26,400 uncollected donations. Meanwhile, the demand for blood and platelets remains high.
“Blood products are being delivered to hospitals almost as quickly as they come in,” said Jim Flickema, CEO of the Great Lakes Blood Services Region. “Donors who give now aren’t just restocking our shelves, they are making sure hope continues to be available for patients in need.”
The American Red Cross is looking for donations from people of all blood types to help replenish the supply. The organization is also encouraging eligible donors with types O negative, A negative and B negative blood to make a double red cell donation, during which two units of red cells are collected while most of the plasma and platelets are returned to the donor.
Schedule of upcoming blood drives:
- March 16, 12 p.m. – 5:45 p.m. Third Reformed Church in Holland
- March 17, 11:30 a.m. – 4:15 p.m. American Red Cross in Holland
- March 18, 11 a.m. – 4:45 p.m. American Legion in Allegan
- March 18, 12 p.m. – 5:45 p.m. United Church of Wayland
- March 19, 12 p.m. – 5:45 p.m. Griswold Auditorium, Allegan
- March 19, 1 p.m. – 6:45 p.m. Intersection Ministries, Holland
- March 20, 10 a.m. – 3:45 p.m. Allegan Alternative High School
- March 20, 12 p.m. – 5:45 p.m. Central Park Reformed Church, Holland
- March 23, 12 p.m. – 5:45 p.m. Fennville Community Athletic Center
- March 23, 12: 30 p.m. – 6:15 p.m. Coopersville United Methodist Church
- March 26, 12 p.m. – 5:45 p.m. St. Francis De Sales Catholic Church, Holland
- March 27, 10 a.m. – 3:45 p.m. Holland Hospital
- March 31, 10:30 a.m. – 3:15 p.m. Grand Haven Community Center
To find a convenient donation opportunity and schedule an appointment, donors can download the free Red Cross Blood Donor App, visit redcrossblood.org or call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767).